Friday, June 15, 2012

HOME by Fathers Day


my sweet baby boy


Yep you read it right Tallin is coming home TODAY!!!! This hospital stay although shorter than the others has been a little more difficult. The Drs weren't as open to listening to my opinion and there were a few nights Tallin (and I) REALLY struggled.. He was alot more uncomfortable and unhappy this time around. (which broke my heart)

Tallin started the antibiotics for pneumonia the day we came in, which was wonderful. They put him on a general antibiotic and sent away labs to see if they could grow anything that would tell them what "specific type" of pneumonia he had, all of his labs came back pretty clear .. (which was good because that means the pneumonia never made it into his blood stream.)  The only thing that the Dr's and I disagreed on was EATING! The Dr's wanted Tallin to eat 2 oz every 3 hours. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, Tallin didn't even eat 2 oz every 3 hours at home when he was healthy so I thought it was an unrealistic goal to begin with, but the Dr's didn't listen. They made him wake up every 3 hours to eat and whatever he didn't take by mouth they make him take through his feeding tube. He was fussy and would moan all day and night long. I asked the doctors everyday if they could PLEASE change it to the schedule that he had at home... eating every 3 1/2 - 4 hours during the day and then eating every 5-6 hours at night.. I know this is out of the norm for babies but Tallin really seems to do WELL with this schedule, (he gains weight and that's all he really needs to be doing so I don't see the problem). He will take between 3- 3 1/2 oz for each feed and that seems to be sufficient for his little body... After 3 days of doing things the "Dr's way" they realised Tallin was going down hill.. He would cry alot, and he threw up on the nurses 2-3 times.. On wed night things came to a head when Tallin had the worst night to date!! I don't like confrontation but I had prepared myself all night and morning to be very stern with the Dr's and to let them know that I thought they were WRONG and I wasn't going to continue letting them force feed my baby ( i don't know if your allowed to make decisions like that but i was determined to try) ... Lucky for me I didn't have to be stern at all, the Dr's apologized for him having such a rough night and told me they were willing to "TRY" things "MY WAY" for one day and see how he did.. WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, Thurs and Friday he was back to the happy mellow baby that I knew.. he took his feeds every 3-4 hours and ate them gone, he gained weight that night (for the first time in 3-4 days) and had 0 "ZERO" puking episodes!!!! When the Dr's came in this morning they apologized UP AND DOWN telling me that they should have listened to me from the beginning and that mothers always know best!! :O) They told me that they were very impressed by my motherly instinct and how well I knew my baby..After they finished "praising" me for being such a good/in tune mom (which felt really nice) they also let me know (THIS IS THE BEST PART)  that they felt like Tallin was well enough to COME HOME!!!! This TOTALLY caught me off guard! I mean just the day before they were saying he would probably need another week in here since he was losing weight!  His pneumonia has been improving everyday and after they saw him gain weight and actually keep down his meals they felt like there was no reason for him to stay!

Somehow in the midst of all of these hospital stays Tallin has always seemed to make it home for the BIG occasions! We left the NICU when he was first born a few days before mothers day (BEST MOTHERS DAY PRESENT EVER, even thought I think we took him to primarys the late evening of mothers day, haha) and now we are coming home a few days before Fathers Day.. I definitely feel like those are tender mercies from Heavenly Father. Being a new mom and dad (again), and having Tallin be in the NICU for so long, it was really nice that we were able to spend those holidays together.

I am soo grateful for all of the tender mercies that Heavenly Father has given me and my family during this long journey. I am thankful for the fa miles I have met in the hospital and for there inspiration and faith. Its really easy to see how corrupt the world is becoming but lately for me I have been able to see just how BEAUTIFUL this earthly life is.. Not only physically beautiful ( I love the mountains in the summer) but when we live the gospel and reach out to others, it helps people (namely me) find beauty in there everyday trials. I am grateful for the prophet and the general authorities and for the example that they set for me and I am extremely grateful for the complete strangers (and friends/family)who have put there arms around me and shown me what it truly means to be Christ-like and Loving.

Thank you SOOO MUCH to all of our family/ friends and ward members who have taken such great care of us over the last couple of months. Hopefully in the near future it will be our turn to help take care of someone else in need.


sorry I didnt have my camera so these are phone pictures

he is always wide awake

such a big boy:)

my get me outta here!!




4 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad he's doing better! My Jackson ate every 4-5 hours. I'm surprised they are so crazy about the 2-3 hour thing. Mothers know best! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you sticking up for your baby!! It's always hard to stand up to the DOCTORS who think they know more than you do about your baby! I am so glad that he is home (again) now. I hope he can continue to grow big and strong!!! He is so cute, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Becky, I have been hanging out balling over your blog post "part 1" all morning.. Your are such an amazing women!!! We love you guys!
    Cami!!!!! you guys are ALIVE:) :) You are most definitely TOO FAR AWAY!! I read your post on dugis birthday, we really wish you guys were closer.. I bet the boys would love hanging out together.. miss you guys and hope things are going ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so happy for you! We are praying really hard that Tallin will be able to stay home and you guys can get back to the norm. We are here to help if ever we can.
    see ya
    trent and kimberly

    ReplyDelete