Monday, May 28, 2012

A week I will NEVER forget!


This weekend has been an eventful one: (I wish I had taken pictures of ANY OF THE EVENTS:) OOOPS, I do have one picture of Pipa girl, it is just crazy to me how big she is getting:( :(

 Saturday morning: Kaj and I went to the temple with my mom and dad and Kaj's mom and dad.. I SOOO NEEDED that session! I love how close I feel to the Savior in the temple. Kaj and I don't make it to sessions as often as we would like but I think we are going to set a new goal to try and get there TOGETHER at least once a month. Hopefully we can make that happen:)

Saturday afternoon:  my mom and dad picked up the kids from my Aunt Lisa's house and Kaj and I headed to the hospital to sit with Tallin for a few hours.. He seemed to be doing ok but still recovering from the CRAZY events we had earlier in the week

Saturday night: we got together for a game night with some WONDERFUL friends

Sunday: a "duel" ward fast:) Our ward and my moms ward, it is soooo wonderful to have such amazing neighbors and to live in such a generous and kind community.. Thank you to everyone who fasted in our behalf, I felt such an overwhelming amount of love on Sunday and I know it was because of all of you.
We also had Kaylee's HOMECOMING.. Wonderful sacrament meeting and then headed over to Tiffany's for some YUMMY lunch!
and game night with my family... My youngest brother was in town from california!! It was nice to have him home for a few days:) We love you Uncle Coby..

I definitely needed the busy weekend. Last week was probably one of the scariest weeks Tallin has had since we he's been born . I, for the VERY 1st time since he was born wondered if he was going to MAKE IT. It is the most heart wrenching feeling I have EVER FELT. I will never forget how helpless and scared I was in that moment!! Tallins  heart rate was really high and the doctors couldn't figure out why, he was having intermittent desats (oxygen levels dropping) and he seemed to be working really hard to breath. The doctors thought at one point all of his agitation was coming from being intebated so they decided to turn off the ventilator and take out the tube. Tallin passed 2 "spontaneous" tests (failed 1, only because he was so agitated or at least thats what they thought) before they took the tube out, just to make sure he was ready. The doctors really felt like the only reason he was having problems was because he was trying to breath more on his own and the tube was making it uncomfortable for him. Soo the decision was made to exibate him (take out the tube). Immediately after taking the tube out Tallin went down hill, he started working REALLY hard to breath which all to quickly turned into him gasping for air. The doctors were trying everything to help him catch his breath but nothing seemed to be working. They went from a regular nasal canula, to the CPAP machine, then to the BPAP machine then to the doctor using the bag and mask, NOTHING WAS WORKING and by the time they had used all of these items to help him breath 4 1/2 min had passed. Tallin went from a very dark blue to a gray-ish color and the doctors put out a call for an EMERGENCY RE INTEBATION. Pretty soon we had every doctor on call in our room and most of the nurses in our unit, within minutes the tube was back in and the levels were put at the highest setting. Tallin came back and seemed to recover his vital signs pretty well, but the doctors were worried about

A: what caused him to stop breathing when they took the tube out (since he was doing so well and since he had passed 2 "spontaneous" tests.) and
B: was there going to be any side effects form him not breathing for almost 5 min.

The doctors did a bunch of blood work, an xray and a full MRI the next day, just to make sure they weren't/aren't missing anything. EVERYTHING CAME BACK NORMAL!! The doctors say they are pretty puzzled that he is struggling soo much with nothing other than the virus.. They think that developmentally he is fine and that we just need to continue to watch him for the next couple of days. They want to start to turn down the vent settings again and see if we can slowly move to trying some more "spontaneous" trials for him. They are hoping they can try and take out the ventilator tube within a few days.

As for now I am singing to him and holding his hand as much as they will let me so he knows I am here for him, and looking forward to the day they will let me start holding him again. Nothing is better for new born babies than the "touch of a loving mother" ... ** thank you to the wonderful nurse who told me that, and who told the doctors that her diagnosis would be for me to be able to hold him all day long.:)  They are very sweet and I feel like the genuinely care about Tallin and his well being.

Things are slowly moving along and hopefully Tallin will start to prove to us that he is getting stronger and healthier with every passing day:) 

1 comment:

  1. Nikki,
    We are praying for you all. It was so good seeing you for a bit yesterday at Kaylee's Homecoming. I'm so glad you are getting such good care for little Tallin at the hospital. Let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help. We aren't too far away, and I work at Thanksgiving Point everyday too so thats even closer. Love you guys!
    --Jamie and Tyler

    ReplyDelete