Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Back to the PICU (Pediatric intensive care unit)

Poor little Tallin didn't last long outside of the NICU. In all fairness Kynlie has a fever/ runny nose and Briyler has a bad Seal cough (I'm sure if we take him in they will tell us its croup/wooping cough), so its not really Tui's fault we are back here:)
None the less Tallin started having problems Monday night. He would "desat,* his oxygen levels would dip", this isn't all that unusual but usually when he dips he stays in the low 80's or high 70s and its only for a second or two and then he brings himself right back up. I noticed that he was dipping a little bit more than normal but I wasn't alarmed at the numbers so I just let it go. Tues morning rolled around and I knew that he had been dipping more than usual during the night ( I got pretty much 0 sleep) so I continued to watch him during the day and on a few occasions I noticed his oxygen levels dipping a little bit lower into the 70's and he seemed to be hanging out there for more than just a few seconds. Kaj and I were a little freaked out, but still we just decided to "watch him".. As the day went on he just got worse and worse, until eventually he was dipping down into the 20's and staying there for SEVERAL seconds, YEP that means he also had a couple instances where he would "change color" either dusky or blue.. TOTALLY SCARY, so I called my visiting teacher (who is a nurse) and asked if she could come over and make sure Kaj and I had the oxygen system set up and that his monitors were reading the right way. We really wanted to be sure that we weren't doing something wrong and causing all of this DRAMA:) Kim stayed and observed him for a good 35 min and he did great for her. As she was leaving she told me to call her if he dipped lower than the 40s and if he had any sort of color change, by the time 10pm rolled around we knew we were going to have to take him to the hospital and I KNEW I DIDN'T want him to be at the murray hospital so it was OFF to PRIMARY CHILDREN'S, I called Kim and asked if she would go with me since he was struggling to breath I didn't want him in the back seat by himself. :) Tallin had a few bad desats in the car (complete with color change and all) and then a few while we were in the waiting room. Luckily the Doctors at primarys dont mess around, they immediately took us back and started to monitor and observe Tallin. The Doc on call was FANTASTIC, we hadn't even been there an hour and he had already ordered a lumbar puncture, chest xray, and multiple labs/cultures. They did more in the first hour than the Murray NICU did in a FULL MONTH!!!
 As of now the only thing they can find is that he has RHINO VIRUS which is just a "really bad cold" that effects the respiratory system in babies and reflex (which they started him on meds for, and he seems to be doing a lot better with that). They are hoping that once he gets rid of the cold his oxygen levels will start to come up on there own. At one point (when he was dropping in the 20's and 30's) they wanted to put a ventilator in but they have since decided to hold off on that and just see how he does on his own, since he hasn't been "desating" nearly as much today. I am hoping things start to pick up tomorrow and he makes a lot of improvements on his own..
In all honesty it is better for that Tallin is here for the next few days, it will hopefully give Kynlie and Bri the time they need to get better!

and just so Daddy knows::  Love you Honey hang in there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment