Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Lehi's Dream, FHE



Today's lesson was on Lehi's dream/ the Iron Rod. There are SOOO many awesome ideas out there for this lesson. I chose a few that I thought would work good for the kids and we went to town! I really love this story and the kids are pretty familiar with it since it was the primary theme last year. So it was fun to talk a little bit more in depth about what symbolism is used in this story and how it applies to our lives today. :)

Opening song: The Iron Rod (this was a SOLO), Book of Mormon Stories, but every single kid knew and sang this song this week!! YAYAYA

LESSON- Read the story of Lehi's dream from the scriptures: 1Nephi 8
We pulled out the flannel board pictures and compared them with the story from "My First Book of Mormon". I read the story and anytime the kids heard me say something that correlated with the flannel board pictures, they would pick up that picture and put it on our "board".. By the end of the story we had most of the pictures set up and then we had Ryker re-tell the story of Lehi's dream from the pictures. :) .... (yep we told the story pretty much 3-4 times, repetition is key for my kids :)..

this book has been sooo helpful the last couple of weeks!!

Here is our flannel board story, and a beautiful print out from Tonii's blog :)


After all of the story telling we played a matching game. The kids LOVE matching games! I thought that the way this game was supposed to be played might be a little to complicated for the kids right now so i printed out 2 sets of the pieces thinking that we would just match pictures and call it a night but when I mentioned the symbolism and what the "iron rod" was symbolic to, which is " the word of God" the boys were a little more interested than I thought they would be, so I ended up explaining a little bit more than I had planned, mostly to Ryker, but I was excited about that.... (SCORE)... We talked about each picture and what that could represent, and then we talked a little bit about how Lehi's dream could be helpful for us today. Ryker really liked learning about symbolism and I was completely shocked, I know for sure when I was his age I didn't know a THING about symbolism...

Here is a SUPER CUTE matching game
 
and this little kid was being my very big helper tonight. 


ACTIVITY- I set up our own Iron rod/Tree of Life outside. I blindfolded each kid separately and let them take a turn trying to find there way to the Tree using the Iron Rod. Dad was the "great and spacious building" and tried to lure the kids away and when he told Dugi "let go and come here, I HAVE CANDY!!" It took a little bit more than my encouraging words to keep him "holding onto the Rod" but HE MADE IT, even yelling at one point "NO DAD".. By then end of everyone's turn the kids wanted to eat there "most desirable fruit" outside and play with there bikes, (we usually don't get very long to do this on school nights) so we decided to let homework slide for a few hours and just ENJOY the BEAUTIFUL SPRING WEATHER tonight.. :)

Dugi wanted to go first:)

Kynlie wasn't having anything to do with the blind fold.. she did good not letting go when dad called her though :)

Bri finally came around and let me put the blind fold on, but only if I touched him the whole way

YAYAYAYA you did it!! He really wanted that apple!

Ryker all by himself.. He took his time because i think he was scared about the rock pile......

I was gonna help him over them rocks but he did great on his own!

this little guy didn't make a peep.. He was Happy as can be to be outside in the sunshine!!

 

this kid lost both of his front teeth and is trying soo hard to get a piece of that apple!!

We LOVE WARM WEATHER!!!

Good thing we live on a culdesac and everyone is soo good about watching for kids.. nothing more fun than these wiggle cars! !

Brotherly LOVE

Even Kynlie loves a good ride on the wiggle car:)

this little guy is still ALL SMILES!! I cant believe how big he is!!!!
 
 
here are the links I used for all the printables :)
 
 

2 comments: